The right toolbox will help you prepare for every eventuality, and you don’t have to be the handiest person in order to assemble the tools that will help you get out of a sticky plumbing situation.
Here are a few suggestions of tools to have on hand to fix plumbing issues in a pinch:
- Flange and cup plungers: If you’ve got a clogged toilet, sink, or shower/bathtub, these tools will come to the rescue. They serve different functions: flange plungers are recommended to unclog toilets, while cup plungers will clear blockages in sinks and shower/bathtub drains.
- Hand auger: Some clogs may require the assistance of more than a plunger, and that’s where a hand auger may come in. This tool allows you to feed metal wire into sink and shower/bathtub drains. After penetrating the blockage, the hand auger will enable you to break up the clog or pull it back out. Be aware that a hand auger is not for toilets.
- Adjustable wrench: Spare yourself the trouble of getting a wrench for every conceivable plumbing piece — simply get an adjustable wrench! That way you’ve got a suitable tool that will help you tighten or loosen nuts, fittings, and supply lines of all sizes.
- Pipe wrench: A step up from the adjustable wrench, the pipe wrench loosens and tightens actual plumbing pipes. We recommend that you have two so you can use one to grip the pipe and the other to tighten or loosen the fitting when needed.
- Tongue-and- groove pliers: Talk about getting a grip! These curved pliers enable you to grip, grab, pull, twist, or hold things of many sizes, because it’s got a slip-joint that can be adjusted.
- Metal file: Depending on your skill level, you may need to smooth out an area of a pipe. This is where a metal file comes in; it will make the application of plumber’s tape and fittings easier.
- Plumber’s tape: This handy tool can temporarily stop leaks on many fittings and joints, making it ideal for showerheads, water lines, or threaded pipe connections. Plumber’s tape will give you time to pause the leak so you can get to the phone and call your plumber.
These tips will help you be more in control of your household plumbing needs; however, nothing replaces the assistance of a professional. To reduce the risk of making issues worse or lessening the lifespan of your plumbing, do form a good relationship with reliable plumbers, like the professionals at Northside Plumbing. We’ll take care of any plumbing repairs and installations that you may have! 770-272-2558 or [email protected]